Pima Air and Space Museum
Firestone Galleries’ “The Bone Yard Project: Return Trip” – contemporary art painted planes are displayed in 2 locations: Outside near Valencia Rd., northeast of the Space Gallery & the Administration/Hangar 2:
- Outside near Valencia Rd.
- Spy Tiger by Andrew Schoultz, 2012. American contemporary artist Andrew Schoultz used acrylic on a Lockheed VC-140 . He is an acclaimed street artist known for his un-commissioned public art.
- Back to Supersonica by Kenny Scharf, 2013. The latest addition to the collection, contemporary artist Scharf spray painted a Lockheed Jetstar VC-140. He is an LA-based artist known for large scale paintings and installations based on pop-culture and science fiction.
- Naughty Angels by Faile, 2012. A Beechcraft UC-45 was painted with acrylic by the collaborative duo Faile. They emerged in New York during the 90s, creating original work inspired by pop culture on streets all over the world.
- “Behind”/south of Hangar 4. (Photo to the left is a detail of the plane re-envisoned by Brazilian artist Nunca located behind Hanger 4.):
- Warning Shot by Retna, 2011. With ink and latex, the artist depicted his own original alphabet, influenced by a variety of hieroglyphics and characters, on the entire body of a Douglas DC-3. Originally from Los Angles, the former street artist is now sought after by collectors and curators for his monochromatic canvases.
- Jerkey Jermel by Bast, 2012. The cockpit of a Douglas DC-3 is adorned with mixed media. The Brooklyn-bred artist has been a vital part of the street art scene for 15 years and often utilizes screen printing. He has also collaborated with fashion designer Marc Jacobs on clothing items for his eponymous line.
- Warriors in Peace by Saner, 2011. The Mexico City artist painted the cockpit of a Boeing C-97 Stratofreighter with spray paint. He is a multitalented visual artist, illustrator, muralist, and graphic designer.
- Times Flies by How and Nosm, 2011. German-born twins used spray paint on a Douglas DC-3. They have painted large murals around the world, which have brought them to the street artist forefront.
Beauty of Flight – located in the museum driveway is a rock, metal and fiberglass sculpture comprised of 3 fiberglass models of the Northrop-McDonnell Douglas YF-23, a prototype single-seat twin engine fighter aircraft designed for the U.S. Air Force.
The Beacon – (located southwest of the museum driveway and Valencia Road intersection) is one part of a series of lighted “airways” linking major cities across the country that the U.S. government created during the 1920s. The lighted Airway Beacons were a substantial navigation aid in an era prior to the development of radio navigation. 24-inch-diameter rotating beacons were mounted on 53-foot high towers, and spaced 10 miles apart. The spacing was closer in the mountains, and farther apart in the plains. The beacons were 5-million candlepower, and rotated 6 times a minute. Their effectiveness was limited by visibility and weather conditions. By 1933 approximately 1,500 airway beacons had been constructed to guide pilots from city to city, covering 18,000 miles from coast to coast. Radio navigation systems began to replace the lights in 1929 but it was not until the 1970s that the last of the beacons were officially turned off. The lights are sometimes called “Lindy Lights” in recognition of Charles Lindbergh’s efforts to promote the system during the 1920s. The one preserved at the Pima Air & Space Museum is believed to have originally been placed at the airport in Douglas, Arizona.