Avro AEW.2 Shackleton

Pima Air and Space Museum Aircraft

Manufacturer
Avro
Markings
Royal Air Force, Number 8 Squadron, RAF Station Lossiemouth, 1991
Designation
AEW.2
Registration
N790WL
Serial Number
WL790

Avro AEW.2 Shackleton

Soon after the end of World War II the Royal Air Force issued a requirement for a new four-engine long range maritime patrol plane to replace its American made Liberators and Fortresses. The AVRO company responded with a new design based on the Lincoln bomber. The aircraft used the Lincoln’s wings and landing gear as well as parts from the earlier Lancaster bomber but with a shorter fuselage and higher powered Rolls-Royce Griffon engines driving six-blade counter rotating propellers. The new design was named Shackleton after the famous British explorer and entered service in February 1951. Beginning in 1971 ten Shackleton MR.2s were modified into Airborne Early Warning aircraft by the addition of radar systems and domes removed from the Fairey Gannet. These aircraft served with the RAF until 1991 when the last of them were retired.

Specifications
Wingspan 120 ft
Length 87 ft 4 in
Height 17 ft 6 in
Max. Speed 300 mph
Service Ceiling 20,200 feet
Range 3,660 miles
Engines 4 Rolls-Royce Griffon Mk. 58 with 2,450 horsepower each
Crew 10