Grumman J4F-2 Widgeon

Pima Air and Space Museum Aircraft

Manufacturer
Grumman
Markings
NACA, Langley Field, Virginia, 1948
Designation
J4F-2
Serial Number
32976

Grumman J4F-2 Widgeon

This Widgeon was built by Grumman in Bethpage, NY and was accepted by the Navy on September 20, 1943. It served with support squadrons in Seattle, Washington and Memphis, Tennessee until 1948 when it was turned over to the Edo Corporation to be modified for testing of new seaplane hull designs. Modifications included a new landing gear design that retracts up along side the fuselage rather than into it. Painted yellow, redesignated E-175 and given the name “Petulant Porpoise” it was assigned to the National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics (NACA) and based at Langley Field, Virginia. The first hull shape tested was a half scale replica of the Martin XP5M-1. Over the next five years the aircraft was used to test other experimental hull designs.

Specifications
Wingspan 40 ft
Length 31 ft 1 in
Height 11 ft 5 in
Weight 4,525 lbs (loaded)
Max. Speed 153 mph
Service Ceiling 14,600 ft
Range 800 miles
Engines 2 Ranger L-440-5, 200 hp
Crew 2 and 4 passengers