Grumman OV-1C Mohawk

Pima Air and Space Museum Aircraft

Manufacturer
Grumman
Markings
1st Infantry Division, U.S. Army, Vietnam, 1967
Designation
OV-1C
Serial Number
61-2724

Grumman OV-1C Mohawk

The Mohawk is a tactical reconnaissance and battlefield observation aircraft designed to replace the L-19 and other light observation aircraft in use by the U.S. Army in the late 1950s. From its first flight in 1959, the OV-1 proved to have exactly the combination of speed, maneuverability, and range that the Army was looking for. The OV-1 began entering service in 1961 and by the end of 1962 they had begun to appear in Vietnam. Different versions of the Mohawk were designed to carry different types of equipment. The “C” models, like the one in the museum’s collection carried cameras and infra-red sensors. Mohawks served in the U.S. Army until 1996, when the last of them were retired.

Specifications
Wingspan 42 ft
Length 41 ft 1 in
Height 12 ft 8 in
Weight 15,302 lbs (loaded)
Max. Speed 295 mph
Service Ceiling 27,450 ft
Range 1,245 miles
Engines 2 Lycoming T53-L-7 turboprops with 1,150 horsepower
Crew 2