Lockheed/Vega PV-2 Harpoon

Pima Air and Space Museum Aircraft

Manufacturer
Lockheed/Vega
Markings
Naval Air Reserve, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Designation
PV-2
Serial Number
37257

Lockheed/Vega PV-2 Harpoon

In early 1942, the U.S. Navy recognized the increasing vulnerability of its seaplane patrol planes to enemy fighters. As a result the Navy chose several land-based Army bombers to supplement its fleet of patrol aircraft. Among the planes chosen was the Lockheed Ventura. Originally derived from the Model 18 airliner for the Royal Air Force, the Ventura had been adopted by the U.S. Army Air Forces in 1941. An improved version with longer wings, larger engines, and a greater range came to be called the PV-2 Harpoon in Navy service. The Harpoon began serving with Navy patrol squadrons in 1944, most spending the last year of the war in the Pacific. After the war the Harpoons served with several Naval Reserve wings for about eight more years.

Specifications
Wingspan 74 ft 11 in
Length 52 ft
Height 11 ft 11 in
Weight 36,000 lbs (loaded)
Max. Speed 282 mph
Service Ceiling 23,900 ft
Range 1,790 miles
Engines 2 Pratt & Whitney R-2800-31, with 2,000 horsepower each
Crew 4