Northrop YC-125A Raider

Pima Air and Space Museum Aircraft

Manufacturer
Northrop
Markings
Triplay y Maderas de Durango, S.A., Durango, Mexico, 1960
Designation
YC-125A
Registration
N2573B
Serial Number
48-0636

Northrop YC-125A Raider

The Northrop YC-125A was intended for use as a tactical transport for rough, short fields. This was the he last tri-motor propeller driven aircraft to see service in the U.S. military. By the time the C-125 was ready for production the jobs it had been intended to do were being done by helicopters and the C-123. The Air Force decided that it had no flying job for the few C-125s that were built. Most, like this one, went directly from the factory to technical schools for use as non-flying ground trainers. After brief military careers most of the 23 C-125s built were sold to a Florida company that then resold them to airlines in Latin America. Most were out of service by the mid-1960s. As of 2002 only two Raiders are known to exist, both in museums in the United States.

Specifications
Wingspan 86 ft 6 in
Length 67 ft 1 in
Height 23 ft 2 in
Weight 40,900 lbs (loaded)
Max. Speed 207 mph
Service Ceiling 21,000 ft
Engines 3 Wright R-1820-99 radials, 1,200 hp each
Crew 2, 36 passengers