Piper U-11A Aztec

Pima Air and Space Museum Aircraft

Manufacturer
Piper
Markings
Alameda Naval Air Station, 1976
Designation
U-11A
Serial Number
149067

Piper U-11A Aztec

The Piper PA-23 was one of the first twin-engine light aircraft available in the United States. It was introduced in 1954 as the four-seat Apache. The popularity of the design led Piper to develop the larger six-seat Aztec that also incorporated more powerful engines. In 1960, the U.S. Navy purchased twenty Aztecs for use as short-range transports designating them UO-1. They were also used to allow Navy pilots who had been assigned non-flying duties to maintain their skills and flight pay. The designation was changed in 1962 to U-11. The Aztecs remained in Navy service until the mid-1970s.

Specifications
Wingspan 37 ft 1 in
Length 30 ft 3 in
Height 10 ft 3 in
Weight 5,200 lbs (loaded)
Max. Speed 277 mph
Service Ceiling 19,800 ft
Range 1,180 miles
Engines 2 Lycoming IP-540 with 250 hp each
Crew 2, 4 passangers