Ryan-Temco D-16 Twin Navion

Pima Air and Space Museum Aircraft

Manufacturer
Ryan-Temco
Markings
W. E. Hinton, Springtown, Pennsylvania
Designation
D-16
Registration
N5128K
Serial Number
Nav-4-2028B

Ryan-Temco D-16 Twin Navion

North American Aviation introduced the single-engine Navion to the market in 1946. It was one of the first all-metal monoplane designs introduced after World War II. It was a success, but due to the pressures of military contracts for F-86 fighters North American decided to sell the design to the Ryan Aircraft Company in 1948. Ryan continued production for several more years. In 1952, a program to convert single-engine Navions into twin-engine aircraft was started by Jack Riley of Florida. The conversions consisted of rebuilding the nose of the aircraft into a baggage compartment and placing two Lycoming engines on the wings. This program was eventually sold to the TEMCO Aircraft Corporation in Texas. Later modifications by TEMCO added more powerful engines and wing tip fuel tanks. Just over 100 Navions were converted between 1954 and 1957.

Specifications
Wingspan 34 ft
Length 27 ft 2 in
Height 10 ft 4 in
Weight 2,950 lbs (loaded)
Max. Speed 185 mph
Service Ceiling 20,000 ft
Range 850 miles
Engines 2 Lycoming O-340-A1A four cylinder engines 170 hp each
Crew 2, 2 passengers