Designation: AEW.2

AVRO Shackleton AEW.2

AVRO Shackleton AEW.2 “Mr. McHenry”

Aerial view of the AVRO Shackleton AEW.2, an aircraft commissioned by the Royal Air Force shortly after World War II.

Soon after the end of World War II, the Royal Air Force issued a requirement for a new four-engine long range maritime patrol plane to replace its American-made Liberators and Fortresses. The AVRO company responded with a new design based on the Lincoln bomber. The aircraft used the Lincoln’s wings and landing gear as well as parts from the earlier Lancaster bomber but with a shorter fuselage and higher-powered Rolls-Royce Griffon engines driving six-blade contra-rotating propellers. The new design was named Shackleton after the famous British explorer and entered service in February 1951. Beginning in 1971, a dozen Shackleton MR.2s were modified into Airborne Early Warning aircraft by the addition of radar systems and domes removed from the Fairey Gannet. These aircraft served with the RAF until 1991 when the last of them were retired.

Wingspan 120ft

Wingspan

Length 87 ft 4 in.

Length

Height 17 ft 6 in.

Height

Weight 86,000 lbs (loaded)

Weight

Max. Speed 300 MPH

Maximum Speed

Service Ceiling 20,200 ft

Service Ceiling

Range 3,660 miles

Range

Engines Four Rolls-Royce Griffon Mk. 58 with 2,450 horsepower each

Engines

Crew 10

Crew


Manufacturer
AVRO

Markings
Royal Air Force, Number 8 Squadron, RAF Lossiemouth, 1991

Designation
AEW.2

Registration
N790WL

Serial Number
WL790

Pima Air & Space Museum

Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.

Charity EIN: 86-6031135

Copyright © 2020
Website by CS Design Studios

Contact Info

520-574-0462

6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756

Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 3:00pm