McDonnell F-101B Voodoo
The F-101 Voodoo was conceived as a long-range escort fighter for the bombers of the Strategic Air Command. As it turned out this was one of the few roles the versatile Voodoo did not perform. The F-101A first flew in 1953 and quickly began setting records for speed, distance, and altitude. The success of the early Voodoos led to the decision to create a two-seat all-weather interceptor version designated F-101B. This variant first flew in 1957 and began equipping squadrons of the Air Defense Command in 1959. The F-101B continued to fly with the Air National Guard until September 1982.
Built by McDonnell Aircraft Company, St. Louis, Missouri and delivered to the U.S. Air Force on May 28, 1959.
May 1959 To 78th Fighter Group, Hamilton AFB, California.
November 1960 To Oklahoma City Air Material Area for maintenance.
January 1961 To 414th Fighter Group, Oxnard Airport, California.
October 1961 To Oklahoma City Air Material Area for maintenance.
June 1962 To 78th Fighter Group, Hamilton AFB, California.
July 1968 To 445th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan.
October 1968 To 75th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan.
November 1969 To 18th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota.
|Wingspan||39 ft 8 in.||
|Length||67 ft 4 in.||
|Weight||52,400 lbs (loaded)||
|Max. Speed||1,094 MPH||
|Service Ceiling||51,000 ft||
|Engines||Two Pratt & Whitney J57-P-55 turbojets with 16,900 pounds of thrust each||
107th Fighter-Interceptor Group, New York Air National Guard, Niagara Falls Airport, New York, 1972
June 1970 To 60th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Otis AFB, Maine.
April 1971 To 107th Tactical Fighter Group, New York Air National Guard, Niagara Falls Airport, New York.
October 1972 Unit redesignated 107th Fighter-Interceptor Group.
April 1976 To Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona for storage.
June 1981 Loaned to Pima Air & Space Museum by the National Museum of the United States Air Force.