Northrop F-89J Scorpion
The F-89 was the U.S. Air Force’s first multi-seat, jet-powered all-weather fighter. The prototype first flew in August 1949 and deliveries of operational aircraft began in July 1950. The F-89D introduced several refinements to the aircraft, most notably the addition of launchers for 52 2.75-inch rockets in the wing tip fuel pods. Starting in 1956 a total of 350 F-89Ds were converted to F-89Js. The changes included electronic and radar upgrades to use the Genie air-to-air nuclear missile.
Built by Northrop Aircraft, Palmdale, California as a F-89D and delivered to the U.S. Air Force on October 11, 1955.
October 1955 To 84th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Hamilton AFB, California.
January 1956 To 437th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Oxnard Airport, California.
April 1957 To Northrop Aircraft, Palmdale California for conversion to F-89J.
August 1957 To 449th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Ladd AFB, Alaska.
April 1958 To 5060th Consolidated Maintenance Group, Ladd AFB, Alaska.
May 1960 To Mobile Air Materiel Area, Alabama.
October 1960 To 142nd Consolidated Maintenance Squadron, Portland, Oregon.
April 1961 To 123rd Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Oregon Air National Guard, Portland Municipal Airport, Oregon.
February 1963 To 142nd Fighter Group, Oregon Air National Guard, Portland Municipal Airport, Oregon.
February 1965 To Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona for storage.
March 1965 Dropped from inventory as surplus.
1985 Loaned to Pima Air & Space Museum by the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
|Wingspan||59 ft 8 in.||
|Length||53 ft 10 in.||
|Height||17 ft 7 in.||
|Weight||42,241 lbs (loaded)||
|Max. Speed||636 MPH||
|Service Ceiling||49,200 ft||
|Engines||Two Allison J35-A-35 turbojets with 7,200 pounds of thrust||
449th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Ladd AFB, Alaska, 1957