Grumman F-11A (F11F-1) Tiger
Begun as a supersonic variant of the F9F Cougar the Tiger quickly evolved into an entirely new design with its own designation, F11F-1. The Tiger showed great early promise as a fighter, but the rapid advancement of aviation technology in the 1950s resulted in the plane’s obsolescence even before it entered service. Tigers served in front line squadrons for only four years before they were replaced by the F-8 Crusader. Tigers continued in use in training and testing programs and with the Blue Angels up to the end of the 1960s. The last two flying Tigers were used in a program to test an inflight thrust reverser and made the last Tiger flights in 1975.
Built by Grumman Aircraft, Bethpage, New York and delivered to the U.S. Navy on March 31, 1958.
June 1958 To Aircraft Pool, Naval Air Station Olathe, Kansas.
July 1958 To Fighter Squadron 51 (VF-51), Naval Air Station Miramar, California.
|Wingspan||31 ft 7 in.||
|Length||46 ft 11 in.||
|Height||46 ft 11 in.||
|Weight||22,160 lbs (loaded)||
|Max. Speed||750 MPH||
|Service Ceiling||41,900 ft||
|Engines||One Wright J65-W-18 turbojet with 10,500 pounds of thrust||
U.S. Navy Aerial Demonstration Team, The Blue Angels, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, 1968
Blue Angel #6
December 1958 To Fighter Squadron 24 (VF-24), Naval Air Station Moffett Field, California.
March 1959 To Fighter Squadron 211 (VF-211), Naval Air Station Miramar, California.
March 1959 Deployed on USS Midway.
May 1959 Deployed on USS Lexington.
December 1959 To Fighter Squadron 111 (VF-111), Naval Air Station Miramar, California.
April 1960 Assigned to Aircraft Pool, Naval Air Station Miramar, California.
February 1961 To Litchfield Park, Arizona for storage.
February 1965 To Naval Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina for Overhaul and Repair.
April 1965 To Training Squadron 26 (VT-26), Naval Air Station Chase, Texas.
March 1967 To Naval Air Basic Training Command Headquarters, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida. Assigned to Blue Angels demonstration team.
February 1969 To Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona for storage.
1973 Refurbished by Grumman for chase plane duties during inflight thrust reverser testing of F-11A number 141853.
1975 Returned to storage at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona.
July 1987 Loaned to Pima Air & Space Museum by National Naval Aviation Museum.