Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17PF (LIM-6MR) Fresco-D
The Mig-17 is a significantly enhanced version of the MiG-15. Changes include an increase in wing sweep and other aerodynamic changes, as well as a more powerful engine in the MiG-17F, the first Soviet engine to use an afterburner. The MiG-17P was the first true all weather radar equipped interceptor available to the Soviet Union. The “PF” version also incorporated the afterburning engine found in the “F” model. The Polish built aircraft carried the designation Lim-5P. Beginning in 1971, all these aircraft were rebuilt as ground attack aircraft and redesignated Lim-6M or as camera equipped Lim-6MR reconnaissance aircraft.
This aircraft was one of the last batch of Lim-5P aircraft built and was delivered in 1959 or 1960. It served with the 29th Fighter Regiment until at least October 1964. Between June and November 1972 it was rebuilt as a Lim-6M and assigned to the 40th Fighter Ground-Attack Regiment. By April 1982 it had again been modified to incorporate reconnaissance cameras and designated as a Lim-6MR and assigned back to the renamed 40th Fighter-Bomber Regiment. It was withdrawn from service in July 1987.
The aircraft was acquired by the U.S. Air Force in 1988 and flown by civilian contractors for research projects conducted by the Defense Test and Evaluation Support Agency at Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque, New Mexico. Apparently retired to storage at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona around 1990.
July 1992 Loaned to the Pima Air & Space Museum by the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
|Wingspan||30 ft 10 in.|| |
|Length||37 ft 6 in.|| |
|Height||12 ft 3 in.|| |
|Weight||14,354 lb (loaded)|| |
|Max. Speed||633 MPH|| |
|Service Ceiling||48,125 ft|| |
|Range||674 miles|| |
|Engines||One Lis-5 turbojet with 7,452 pounds of thrust|| |
Soviet Air Force, c. 1960