North American (NA64) Yale
The Yale is a member of the same family of trainer aircraft as the T-6 Texan and it bears a very close resemblance to the Texan. The most obvious difference is the fixed landing gear on the Yale compared to the retractable gear on the Texan. The 119 Yale aircraft used by the Royal Canadian Air Force were built for export to France but were diverted to Canada after France fell to Germany in 1940. The Yale closely resembles the U.S. Army Air Forces’ BT-14 however they are not identical. The Yale served in Canada until late 1946 when they were all retired.
Manufactured by North American Aviation in 1940 for France and diverted to Canada in August 1940. Taken on strength by the RCAF, September 16, 1940.
1940 To Number 1 Service Flying Training School, Camp Borden, Ontario. Damaged in an accident on September 11, 1941 at Dunnville, Ontario. Repaired and assigned to Number 2 and Number 4 Wireless Schools.
1946 Struck off charge and sold to Ernie Simmons, Tillsonburg, Ontario.
1970 Sold to an American buyer and received the U.S. civil registration N4635G.
1974 Donated to the Pima Air & Space Museum by Alvin Broeker and John Jackson.
|Wingspan||40 ft 10 in.|| |
|Length||28 ft 8 in.|| |
|Height||11 ft 6 in.|| |
|Weight||4,500 lbs (loaded)|| |
|Max. Speed||175 MPH|| |
|Service Ceiling||19,000 ft|| |
|Range||750 miles|| |
|Engines||One Wright R-975-E3 radial with 440 horsepower|| |
Royal Canadian Air Force, 1943