Designation: PB-1G

Boeing B-17G

Boeing B-17G (PB-1G) Flying Fortress

A picture of the Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress

While it is not the most produced American bomber of World War II, the B-17 is perhaps the most famous.  Originally designed in 1934 in response to an Army request for a multi-engine bomber, the B-17 lost the contract for immediate full-scale production to the Douglas B-18.  The Flying Fortress was selected for further development, and a total of 13 aircraft were produced for service testing.  By 1941, the B-17 was beginning to enter large scale service and production.  The B-17G was the most produced version of the Flying Fortress with 4,035 produced.  It was designed in response to combat reports that indicated a need for increased forward defensive guns and the ability to fly at higher altitudes.  A total of 12,677 Flying Fortresses were built during the war.  By 1946 only a few hundred remained in service with the Strategic Air Command.  A few more were transferred to the Navy and Coast Guard and were modified to carry large lifeboats under the fuselage.  Some eventually passed into civilian hands and became fire fighters and air show performers.

Wingspan 103 ft 9 in.

Wingspan

Length 74 ft 4 in.

Length

Height 19 ft 1 in.

Height

Weight 65,500 lbs (loaded)

Weight

Max. Speed 287 MPH

Maximum Speed

Service Ceiling 35,600 ft

Service Ceiling

Range 2,000 miles

Range

Engines Four Wright R-1820-97 radial with 1,200 horsepower each

Engines

Crew 9

Crew


To learn more about the B-17 Flying Fortress used by the 390th Bomb Group, visit their web page below:

390th B-17 Flying Fortress


Manufacturer
Boeing

Markings
390th Bomb Group, England, 1943

Designation
B-17G “Tanker B-30”, “Tanker 37”

Registration
N9323R

Serial Number
44-85828, USCG #77254

Pima Air & Space Museum

Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.

Charity EIN: 86-6031135

Copyright © 2020
Website by CS Design Studios

Contact Info

520-574-0462

6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756

Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 3:00pm