Designation: PV-2

Lockheed-Vega PV-2

Lockheed/Vega PV-2 Harpoon

A picture of the Lockheed/Vega PV-2 Harpoon

In early 1942, the U.S. Navy recognized the increasing vulnerability of its sea-plane patrol planes to enemy fighters. As a result, the Navy chose several land-based Army bombers to supplement its fleet of patrol aircraft. Among the planes chosen was the Lockheed Ventura. Originally derived from the Model 18 airliner for the Royal Air Force, the Ventura had been adopted by the U.S. Army Air Forces in 1941. An improved version with longer wings, larger engines, and a greater range came to be called the PV-2 Harpoon in Navy service. The Harpoon began serving with Navy patrol squadrons in 1944, most spending the last year of the war in the Pacific. After the war the Harpoons served with several Naval Reserve wings for about eight more years.

Wingspan 74 ft 11 in.

Wingspan

Length 52 ft

Length

Height 11 ft 11 in.

Height

Weight 36,000 lbs (loaded)

Weight

Max. Speed 282 MPH

Maximum Speed

Service Ceiling 23,900 ft

Service Ceiling

Range 1,790 miles

Range

Engines Two Pratt & Whitney R-2800-31, with 2,000 horsepower each

Engines

Crew 4

Crew


Manufacturer
Lockheed/Vega

Markings
Naval Air Reserve, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Designation
PV-2

Registration
N7255C

Serial Number
37257

Pima Air & Space Museum

Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.

Charity EIN: 86-6031135

Copyright © 2019
Website by CS Design Studios

Contact Info

520-574-0462

6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756

Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily Last admittance at 3:00pm