The UPF-7 introduced in 1937 was the seventh and last model in WACO’s popular F-series of bi-planes. In 1940, the company undertook a program to redesign the UPF-7 to meet the requirements of the U.S. Government’s Civilian Pilot Training Program (CPTP). This program trained civilian pilots at government expense in anticipation of the need for many pilots when the U.S. was inevitably drawn into World War II. Modifications were relatively simple; controls in the front seat, a wider landing gear, and improved access to the front cockpit were the main differences. WACO produced more UPF-7s than of any of their previous models in the F series.
|Length||23 ft 6 in.||
|Height||8 ft 6 in.||
|Weight||2,650 lbs (loaded)||
|Max. Speed||130 MPH||
|Service Ceiling||14,800 ft||
|Engines||One Continental W-670-6N with 220 horsepower||
Gilpin & Greenway Airlines, Tucson, Arizona, 1944