Martin/General Dynamics WB-57F Canberra
This aircraft is not currently on public display.
The B-57 is one of only two major combat aircraft of foreign design adopted for use by the United States military since the end of World War II. The first of the bomber variants went into service in 1954. In 1955, a major redesign of the Canberra was begun to develop a high-altitude reconnaissance version. This version called the RB-57D proved to be of limited use due to problems with the new long wing which eventually led to the grounding of the aircraft. General Dynamics designed an even larger wing that solved the problem. The RB-57Fs were rebuilt from earlier aircraft and given new serial numbers along with their new wings.
|Wingspan||122 ft 5 in.||
|Length||68 ft 8 in.||
|Height||20 ft 5 in.||
|Weight||63,000 lbs (loaded)||
|Max. Speed||483 MPH||
|Service Ceiling||64,000 ft||
|Engines||Two Pratt & Whitney TF33-P-11A turbojets with 16,500 pounds of thrust each and two Pratt & Whitney J60-P-9 turbojets with 2, 900 pounds of thrust each||
National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 1975