The Boeing B-50 began as an upgrade to the highly successful B-29. However, the large number of changes made, new engines, modified wings, and a larger tail being just a few, resulted in a new designation for the aircraft. The first aircraft entered service in 1947 and eventually 370 were built. As the B-50s began to be replaced by other types of bombers they were modified for use as aerial refueling tankers by the Tactical Air Command. The first modifications involved removing all armament and installing extra fuel tanks in the fuselage and under the wings. Eventually, greater speed was needed to keep up with the faster fighters in use and the external tanks were replaced by two J-47 turbojet engines. In this form they continued to serve well into the 1960s.
4505th Air Refueling Wing, Turner AFB, Georgia, 1959
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2020
Website by CS Design Studios
6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756
Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 3:00pm