Dave Long, an engineer with the Piper Company, introduced the original Midget Mustang in 1948. It was intended as a factory production aircraft, but the expected market never developed. Nevertheless, the design quickly became popular with homebuilders. In 1959, Robert Bushby bought the rights to the aircraft and took over producing the plans and kits. In 1963 he began design of a modified version with two-seats called the Mustang II. This version retained the original’s racing inspired design and performance while increasing the plane’s carrying capacity. Since its formal introduction in 1965, homebuilders around the world have built over 400 Mustang II aircraft.
Built by Richard McMurry, Tucson, Arizona and completed in May 1976.
July 1986 Donated to the Pima Air & Space Museum.
Richard McMurry, Tucson, Arizona, 1983
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2022
Website by CS Design Studios