Based on the Convair CV-340 airliner and given the Navy designation R4Y-1 a total of 36 Samaritans served the U.S. Navy as staff transports. Essentially identical to the civil version the primary difference between them is the addition of a large cargo door on the side of the military aircraft. The civil CV-340 was designed as an upgrade to the earlier CV-240. It first flew in October 1951. The first were delivered to the military in 1952 and they continued in service until well into the 1980s. The Samaritan performed an unglamorous, but vital role by moving military personnel quickly and efficiently between bases.
Naval Air Station Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, 1986
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2020
Website by CS Design Studios
6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756
Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 3:00pm