Design of the F-102 began in 1950 to meet an Air Force requirement for a supersonic interceptor. Convair settled on a delta-winged design based on the XF-92A and in consultation with Dr. Alexander Lippisch, who had done a great deal of work on delta wing designs in Germany during World War II. The first YF-102 flew in October 1953 and failed to meet the design requirements, it could not in fact reach supersonic speeds. A massive redesign of the aircraft’s fuselage and wings resulted in the YF-102A which did meet the requirements of the Air Force and production of this version commenced in 1954. The first of 875 Delta Daggers were delivered to the 327th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron in 1956 and served in the Air Force and Air National Guard until 1976.
327th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, George AFB, California, 1958
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios