In 1940, the Culver company was awarded a contract by the U.S. Army for a target drone aircraft based on their Cadet civilian light aircraft. Designated the PQ-8 it proved to be very successful and led to the development of the slightly larger and faster PQ-14. These all-wood drones were used throughout the United States to train both Army and Navy anti-aircraft gunners. Being descended from a piloted aircraft the PQ-14 could be flown either by remote control or by a pilot. Naturally, pilots never flew the aircraft when they were being shot at from the ground. After the war many of the surviving PQ-14s had the remote-control equipment removed and were sold on the civilian market.
Army Air Force, Biggs AAF, El Paso, Texas 1945
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios