Design work on the Mystère IV began in 1951 as a technology research aircraft based on the Mystère II and intended to study transonic flight. The aircraft began flying in late 1952 and after only a few flights proved to be greatly superior in performance to the earlier fighter. In October of that year a U.S. Air Force commission visited France to study the state of the French aircraft industry. They were greatly impressed with the Mystère IV and the following year the United States government ordered 225 aircraft through an economic development program designed to encourage the development of the European aviation industry. The aircraft were given as a gift to the French Air Force and went into service beginning in 1954. The Mystère IV was also exported to both Israel, and India. In all just over 400 aircraft were built.
Built by Dassault at Merignac, France and delivered to the Armée de l’Air on October 25, 1955.
October 1955 To Escadron de Chasse 1/12, “Parisis,” Airbase 103 Cambrai-Épinoy, France.
December 1958 To Escadron de Chasse 2/10, “Seine,” Airbase 110 Creil, France.
January 1959 To Escadron de Chasse 1/5, “Vendee,” Airbase 115 Orange-Caritat, France.
Armée de l’Air, Escadron de Chasse 1/12, “Parisis,” Airbase 103 Cambrai- Épinoy, France
January 1961 To Escadron de Chasse 1/8, “Saintonge,” Airbase 120 Cazaux, France.
January 1962 To Escadron de Chasse 1/7, “Saintonge,” Airbase 113, Nancy-Ochey, France
March 1962 To École de Chasse, “Charles Martell,” Airbase 705, Tours, France.
June 1966 To École de l'Air, Airbase 701, Salon-de-Provence, France.
June 1967 To Entrepot de l'Armee de l'Air 601, Airbase 279, Châteaudun, France for storage.
September 1969 To Escadron de Chasse 1/8, “Saintonge,” Airbase 120 Cazaux, France.
September 1976 To Entrepot de l'Armee de l'Air 601, Airbase 279, Châteaudun, France for storage.
May 1978 To RAF Sculthorpe, Fakenham, England for return to the U.S. Air Force.
1978 To Imperial War Museum Duxford for display. On loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
Circa 2008 To National Museum of the United States Air Force, Dayton, Ohio for storage.
November 2011 To Pima Air & Space Museum, Tucson, Arizona for restoration and display. On loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2020
Website by CS Design Studios
6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756
Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 3:00pm