The Vampire jet fighter was designed for the British Royal Air Force. Design work began in mid 1942 and the first prototype flew in September 1943. The Vampire was the second jet fighter to enter service with the RAF although it did not see combat in World War II. The Vampire remained in RAF service as a fighter-bomber until the end of the 1950s. The two-seat trainer version was used until 1966. The aircraft was also adopted by more than thirty other air forces around the world with the last of them leaving the Rhodesian Air Force in the early 1980s.
The Royal Australian Air Force was one of the largest users of the Vampire with nearly 200 aircraft being built in Australia by de Havilland’s Australian branch. The two seat T.35s were delivered between 1952 and 1954. They served in the RAAF until their retirement in 1970.
Royal Australian Air Force, Telstars Flight Demonstration Team, Central Flying School, East Sale, Victoria, mid-1960s
Pima Air & Space Museum