Douglas A-4B Skyhawk

A picture of the Douglas A-4B Skyhawk

Design of the Skyhawk began in 1952 as a response to the increasing weight and decreasing performance of the early jet fighters.  The Skyhawk was to be a lightweight, carrier based, nuclear capable, attack bomber for the U. S. Navy.  The type's first flight was on June 22, 1954 and testing quickly resulted in Navy contracts for the A4D-1 and A4D-2 versions of the plane.  The Skyhawk was redesignated as the A-4 in 1962 with the A4D-2 becoming the A-4B.  Skyhawks were one of the main Navy and Marine strike aircraft during the Vietnam War and flew from every American carrier as well as from land bases.  Production of the Skyhawk ended in 1979, but A-4s continued to serve with the U. S. Navy in training roles until the early 1990s.

Wingspan

27 ft 6 in.

Length

39 ft 5 in.

Height

15 ft

Weight

20,000 lbs (loaded)

Maximum Speed

664 MPH

Service Ceiling

20,100 ft

Range

1,160 miles

Engines

One Wright J65-W-20 turbojet with 8,400 pounds of thrust

Crew

1

Manufacturer
Douglas

Markings
VMA-214 (Marine Attack Squadron 214), Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, 1962

Serial Number
142928

Designation
A-4B

Pima Air & Space Museum

Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.

Charity EIN: 86-6031135

Copyright © 2019
Website by CS Design Studios

Contact Info

520-574-0462

6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756

Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily Last admittance at 3:00pm