Development of the C-124 began in 1947. Based on the short-lived C-74 the Globemaster II was intended to give the Air Force a long-range heavy-lift capability. The largest aircraft in use by the U.S. Air Force at the time, the C-124 could carry over 200 passengers or large cargos that would not fit in any other aircraft. The Globemaster II entered service in 1950 and they remained in use well into the 1970s. The C-124C version introduced more powerful engines, weather radar and better de-icing equipment. These changes were later refitted to earlier aircraft. A total of 447 Globemaster IIs were built.
901st Military Airlift Group, Laurence G. Hanscom AFB, 1972
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2022
Website by CS Design Studios