Designed by Fred Weick this small two passenger private plane first built in 1939 introduced several revolutionary design elements to the light plane pilots of the day. It was the first General Aviation type aircraft with a tricycle landing gear, was of all metal mono-coupe design with a low wing and when compared to its high wing, tube framed, and fabric covered competitors it looked very sophisticated and modern. However, the most intriguing design element is not visible from outside the aircraft. In its standard form the Ercoupe does not have rudder pedals. The rudder is mechanically linked to the ailerons and are both controlled by turning the control wheel. This virtually eliminates the possibility of spinning the aircraft. The Ercoupe was first sold in 1939, but World War II temporarily stopped production. Production resumed in 1946 and Erco built 4,309 of them that year alone. Production continued at significantly lower rates until 1950 when Erco stopped building aircraft. Several other companies have built Ercoupes over the years since and the last one left the assembly line in 1970.
Pima Air & Space Museum, 2004
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios
6000 E Valencia Rd, Tucson, AZ 85756
Open 9 AM – 3 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 1:30 PM