The C-123 began in 1949, as a design for an all-metal cargo glider from Chase Aircraft. It was designed from the beginning to be easily converted to a powered cargo aircraft and the first powered prototype flew in October 1949. Chase Aircraft produced five flight testing aircraft before difficulties within the company resulted in the Air Force canceling the contract with them and turning further development and production of the aircraft over to Fairchild in June 1953. A total of 302 C-123Bs were produced for the U.S. Air Force. In 1960, eight Providers were transferred to the U.S. Coast Guard. They were primarily used for logistics support, but also saw service in search and rescue operations. Two aircraft, including this one, were modified to assist in the development of the LORAN-C navigation system.
U.S. Coast Guard, Miami, Florida, 1972
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios