Designed in 1941 in response to an Army Air Force requirement for a new cargo plane capable of ground-level loading, paratroop operations, and glider towing, the C-82 incorporated several innovations that have become standard in military cargo aircraft. These include rear loading doors, a high wing, and an unobstructed cargo area. The rear passenger doors allowed the easy dropping of paratroopers and the removal of the rear clam-shell doors allowed the dropping of larger cargos and vehicles. The C-82 first flew in September 1944 and over 220 had been delivered when production ended in 1948.
7th Geodetic Squadron, 55th Strategic Reconnaissance Group, Forbes AFB, Kansas, 1949
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2020
Website by CS Design Studios
6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756
Open 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 1:30pm