The Fouga Magister was designed in response to a French Air Force need for a jet trainer in the late 1940s. An earlier trainer had proven to be underpowered and the new requirement called for more powerful engines to be fitted. In 1950 Fouga enlarged the earlier design and added the Turbomeca Marbore engine. The plane’s most distinctive feature its “V”-tail came from the glider that Fouga had fitted with a jet engine for testing. The Magister first flew in 1952 and entered service with the French Air Force in 1956. Its success resulted in large numbers of the aircraft being sold to other air forces around the world and eventually twenty-three nations would make use of the Magister. In addition to being built in France Magisters were license built in West Germany, Finland, and Israel. In all 929 were constructed. After the Magister was retired several them found their way into civilian hands, particularly in the United States.
Michael W. Leverington, 2013
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios
6000 E Valencia Rd, Tucson, AZ 85756
Open 9 AM – 5 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 3:00 PM