The SA-16A Albatross was designed for the U.S. Navy in 1944 as a replacement for the Grumman JRF Goose. Initial testing in 1947 led not only to Navy orders, but to orders from the U.S. Air Force and Coast Guard as well. All three services primarily used the aircraft for search-and-rescue duties as well as general maritime patrol. In the early 1960s they were redesignated as HU-16s as a part of the joint Air Force-Navy aircraft designation system. The Albatross served until well into the 1970s. Some can still be found flying in private hands.
31st Air Rescue Squadron, Clark AB, Philippines ca. 1957
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios