Gyrodyne DSN-3 (QH-50C) Dash

A picture of the Gyrodyne DSN-3 (QH-50C) Dash

DASH is an acronym for “Drone Anti-Submarine Helicopter.”  In the late 1950s the Navy was searching for a way to extend the anti-submarine capabilities of the large number of aging World War II era destroyers still serving in the fleet.  These ships were considered too small for conventional manned helicopters and DASH was the answer to the problem.  The DASH made its first flight on August 12, 1960 and was the world’s first unmanned helicopter.  The QH-50C is designed to carry two homing torpedoes.  The Navy first deployed the drones in late 1962 and they remained in service until 1970.  Several QH-50s remain in use at the White Sands Missile Range as target tugs for missile testing.

Service History:

All that is known of this aircraft’s history is that it was built by Gyrodyne at St. James, New York on January 24, 1963.  What ships, if any it was assigned to are unknown.  It is believed that this is the oldest DASH in existence.  The drone was loaned to the Pima Air & Space Museum in January 1982 by the National Naval Aviation Museum.

Rotor Diameter

20 ft

Length

12 ft 10 in.

Height

9 ft 4 in.

Weight

2,303 lbs (loaded)

Maximum Speed

80 MPH

Service Ceiling

16,200 ft

Range

70 miles

Engine

One Boeing T50-BO-8A turbine engine with 300 horsepower

Crew

None

Manufacturer
Gyrodyne

Markings
U.S. Navy, ca. 1963

Designation
DSN-3

Serial Number
DS-1045

Pima Air & Space Museum

Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.

Charity EIN: 86-6031135

Copyright © 2020
Website by CS Design Studios

Contact Info

520-574-0462

6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756

Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 3:00pm