The Osage was first flown as the civilian Model 269 in October 1956. It proved quite popular for training and with police and corporate owners. In 1964, it was selected by the U.S. Army as its primary helicopter trainer and was given the designation TH-55A and the name Osage. TH-55’s served until 1988, but they saw the most use during the Vietnam War when the Army’s need for helicopter pilots was virtually insatiable. Nearly 800 Osages were built for the Army and many of them found their way onto the civil market after they were retired where they remain a popular light helicopter.
Pima Air & Space Museum, 1980
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2019
Website by CS Design Studios
6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756
Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily Last admittance at 3:00pm