In 1947, the P-80’s high accident rate caused Lockheed to design a two-seat trainer version of the P-80C to combat the problem. The T-33 is significantly longer than the P-80 and adds wingtip fuel tanks to make up for fuel storage in the fuselage lost to the second seat. The T-33 was very successful and remained in U.S. Air Force service well into the 1970s. They have been supplied to several foreign governments and some have found their way into civilian hands as well.
363rd Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, Shaw AFB, 1974
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios
6000 E Valencia Rd, Tucson, AZ 85756
Open 9 AM – 3 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 1:30 PM