The Martin 404 is a greatly improved development of the similar appearing Martin 202. The earlier aircraft suffered from a number of problems the most serious of which was a design flaw in the wing that could cause the wings to break up in flight. The 404 corrected this error and added cabin pressurization to permit higher flights with more comfort for the passengers. The 404 first flew in 1950 and more than 100 were sold to Eastern Airlines, Trans World Airlines, the U.S. Coast Guard and one to Howard Hughes. Some of the Martin airliners remained in service into the 1980s with small airlines and private owners.
Mr. Marvin Janzen, 1975
Pima Air & Space Museum