The HUM-1 is a small two passenger utility helicopter originally designed by the Helicopter Engineering Research Corporation in 1948. The design was taken up by the McCulloch Motors Corporation and offered to the U.S. Army as the XH-30 and to the Navy as the HUM-1. Three were built for the Army and two for the Navy in 1953. Neither service was able to find a use for the tiny helicopters, so they were returned to McCulloch. A civil version, the MC-4, was likewise unable to generate any sales and McCulloch lost interest in the project and turned it back over to the original designer D. K. Jovanovich.
Built by the McCulloch Aircraft Corporation and delivered to the U.S. Navy on June 15, 1953.
June 1953 To Naval Air Technical Center, Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland for testing.
August 1955 Stricken from service.
October 1974 Loaned to Pima Air & Space Museum by the National Naval Aviation Museum.
Naval Air Technical Center, Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland, 1953
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios