The F-101 Voodoo was conceived as a long-range escort fighter for the bombers of the Strategic Air Command. As it turned out this was one of the few roles the versatile Voodoo did not perform. The F-101A first flew in 1953 and quickly began setting records for speed, distance, and altitude. The RF-101C version of the Voodoo is specially strengthened and modified to perform tactical reconnaissance missions at both high and very low altitudes.
Built by McDonnell Aircraft Company, St. Louis, Missouri and delivered to the U.S. Air Force on June 27, 1958.
June 1958 To 7486th Air Base Group, Phalsbourg Air Base, France.
December 1959 To 66th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, Laon Air Base, France.
September 1966 Unit moved to Upper Heyford, United Kingdom.
March 1969 To 363rd Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, Shaw AFB, South Carolina.
April 1969 To 189th Tactical Reconnaissance Group, Arkansas Air National Guard, Little Rock AFB, Arkansas.
December 1975 To 186th Tactical Reconnaissance Group, Mississippi Air National Guard, Key Field, Mississippi.
January 1979 To Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona for storage.
February 1982 Loaned to Pima Air & Space Museum by the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
186th Tactical Reconnaissance Group, Mississippi Air National Guard, Key Field, Mississippi
Pima Air & Space Museum