In 1956 the U.S. Air Force requested proposals for a small jet trainer and transport from aircraft manufacturers. Since the government felt that the aircraft would also have commercial applications it requested that the prototypes be designed and delivered to the Air Force at no cost to the government. North American responded with the Sabreliner which first flew in September 1958. By 1960 it had been accepted by the Air Force and had received its commercial certification. Both military and civil orders followed with a total of 599 eventually being built.
Manufactured by North American Aviation, Inglewood, California, as a T-39A and delivered to the U.S. Air Force on December 28, 1962.
January 1963 To 327th Fighter Group, Truax AFB, Wisconsin.
March 1966 To 4756th Air Defense Wing, Tyndall AFB, Florida.
June 1967 To 3800th Air Base Wing, Maxwell AFB, Alabama.
July 1968 To 1001st Composite Wing, Andrews AFB, Maryland.
July 1975 To 1402nd Military Airlift Squadron, Andrews AFB, Maryland.
March 1977 Unit moved to Shaw AFB, South Carolina.
July 1977 Redesignated CT-39A.
November 1985 Dropped from inventory by transfer to museum.
April 1986 Loaned to Pima Air & Space Museum by the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
1402nd Military Airlift Squadron, Shaw AFB, South Carolina
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2022
Website by CS Design Studios