The F-86D is the radar equipped all-weather interceptor version of the Sabre. The aircraft is really a completely new design based on the F-86 and in fact it was initially designated as the F-95A. In addition to the redesigned nose to accommodate the radar the “Sabre Dog” was equipped with an afterburning engine and eliminated the gun armament in favor of a retractable tray containing 24 2.75-inch air-to-air rockets. This version of the Sabre was assigned to the Air Defense Command as an interceptor during the 1950s and later to several Air National Guard units. Starting in 1956 a total of 981 F-86Ds were converted to F-86Ls. This involved fitting a redesigned wing and new electronic equipment.
Manufactured by North American Aviation, Inglewood, California as an F-86D and delivered to the U.S. Air Force on June 1, 1955.
June 1955 To 47th Figher-Interceptor Squadron, Niagara Falls Airport, New York. Deployed to Williams AFB, Arizona, Yuma County Airport, Arizona, and Grandview AFB, Missouri.
June 1957 To North American Aviation, Inglewood California for conversion to F-86L.
September 1957 To 53rd Fighter Group, Sioux City Airport, Iowa. Deployed to Vincent AFB, Arizona.
354th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, McGhee Tyson Airport, Tennessee, 1957
March 1959 To Sacramento Air Materiel Area, McClellan AFB, California.
May 1959 To 144th Fighter Group, California Air National Guard, Fresno Airport, California.
April 1961 To 194th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, California Air National Guard, Fresno Airport, California.
December 1965 To 144th Fighter Group, California Air National Guard, Fresno Airport, California.
January 1966 To Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona for storage.
June 1966 Dropped from inventory as surplus.
1974 Loaned to Pima Air & Space Museum by the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2019
Website by CS Design Studios
6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756
Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily Last admittance at 3:00pm