The Buckeye was designed in 1956 in response to a Navy requirement for a multi-purpose jet trainer. The first version of the aircraft used a single J34 jet engine and in this configuration the first flight was made in January 1958. Deliveries to training squadrons began in 1960. At the same time a program to redesign the Buckeye with two more modern jets was underway. This resulted in the T-2B, which entered Navy service in 1965. In 1969, even more efficient engines were fitted to the Buckeye resulting in the T-2C. The new General Electric J85 engine produced the same performance for significantly lower costs. The Buckeye began to be replaced in Navy service in the 1990s by the T-45 Goshawk.
Manufactured by North American Aviation, Columbus, Ohio and delivered to the U.S. Navy in July 1970.
Assignments between 1970 and 1974 are unknown.
March 1974 Training Squadron 23 (VT-23), Naval Air Station Kingsville, Texas.
August 1975 Training Squadron 10 (VT-10), Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida.
November 1982 Training Squadron 4 (VT-4), Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida.
1996 Training Wing 6 (CTW-6), Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida.
April 2003 Loaned to Pima Air & Space Museum by the National Naval
Carrier Training Wing 6 (CTW-6), Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2022
Website by CS Design Studios