Design of what would become North American’s most successful and long lasting program began in 1935 as a basic trainer for the Army Air Corps. Over the next few years the aircraft evolved into the famous AT-6 Texan. Several versions of the aircraft entered service between 1936 and 1939 when the version designated AT-6 first appeared. More pilots trained in the Texan than in any other single type of aircraft during World War II. They were used by the U.S. Army and the Navy as well as many foreign nations. Over 21,000 aircraft were built between 1935 and 1946. In 1949, the U.S. Air Force began a program to remanufacture existing T-6 airframes into the T-6G. Aircraft were brought to North American’s Downey, California plant and completely disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled with new engines, propellers, and instruments. The aircraft were all given new serial numbers and returned to serve for many more years.
Built by North American Aviation, Dallas, Texas and received by the USAAF on April 13, 1942 as AT-6B serial number 41-17246.
April 1942 To 3028th AAF Base Unit (Advanced Single-Engine Pilot School, AAF Western Flying Training Command,) Luke AAF and Gila Bend AAF, Arizona.
November 1944 To 3011th AAF Base Unit (AAFWFTC), Ajo AAF, Arizona.
December 1945 To Los Palo, California and disposed as surplus.
Remanufactured by North American Aviation, Downey, California and delivered to the USAF on March 23, 1950 as 49-2908.
March 1950 To 3595th Pilot Training Wing, Las Vegas AFB, Nevada.
June 1950 To 3565th Basic Pilot Training Wing, James Connally AFB, Texas.
October 1951 To 3305th Pilot Training Squadron, Malden Airport, Missouri.
June 1956 To Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona for storage.
October 1957 Dropped from inventory as surplus.
1972 Loaned to Pima Air & Space Museum by the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
3028th AAF Base Unit, Luke Army Air Field, Arizona, 1942
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios