The F-5 was developed in conjunction with the T-38 Talon trainer as a private venture of the Northrop company. The U.S. Government selected it in 1962 for production as an export fighter for countries participating in the Military Assistance Program. The F-5 was built in two main versions; the F-5A was a single seat fighter while the F-5B was a two-seat trainer that was also capable of combat operations. The F-5 first flew in 1959 and was used by the U.S. Air Force to train foreign pilots starting in 1964. A total of 18 countries flew the F-5 and they were also license built in Canada and Spain.
Built by Northrop Aircraft, Palmdale, California and delivered to the U.S. Air Force on November 10, 1972.
November 1972 To 58th Tactical Fighter Training Wing, Williams AFB, Arizona.
August 1979 To 405th Tactical Training Wing, Williams AFB, Arizona.
May 1984 Designated as a ground training airframe (GF-5B.)
July 1984 To the Inter-American Air Force Academy, Albrook AFB, Panama.
October 1989 To Homestead AFB, Florida.
May 2001 Loaned to Pima Air & Space Museum by the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
58th Tactical Fighter Training Wing, Williams AFB, Arizona, 1972
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2019
Website by CS Design Studios
6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756
Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily Last admittance at 3:00pm