The J-4 Cub Coupe was introduced in September 1938 as an update to the already popular J-3 Cub. The J-4 offered a wider fuselage and side-by-side seating instead of the tandem seats of the J-3. The J-4A also provided a more powerful engine. By the end of 1939 several hundred J-4s were in use in the U.S. and Canada. The J-4 remained an excellent selling product for Piper until December 1941 when all civilian aircraft manufacture came to a stop with the entry of the United States into World War II. Production of the Cub Coupe did not restart after the end of the war since Piper had moved on to more improved versions of the Cub.
Piper Aircraft delivery scheme, 1939
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2019
Website by CS Design Studios
6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756
Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily Last admittance at 3:00pm