The Piper PA-23 was one of the first twin-engine light aircraft available in the United States. It was introduced in 1954 as the four-seat Apache. The popularity of the design led Piper to develop the larger six-seat Aztec that also incorporated more powerful engines. In 1960, the U.S. Navy purchased twenty Aztecs for use as short-range transports designating them UO-1. They were also used to allow Navy pilots who had been assigned non-flying duties to maintain their skills and flight pay. The designation was changed in 1962 to U-11. The Aztecs remained in Navy service until the mid-1970s.
Built by Piper Aircraft Company, Lock Haven, Pennsylvania and delivered to the U.S. Navy on October 25, 1960.
October 1960 To Alameda Naval Air Station, California.
March 1976 To North Island Naval Air Station, California.
November 1976 To Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona for storage.
December 1982 Loaned to Pima Air and Space Museum by the National Naval Aviation Museum.
Alameda Naval Air Station, 1976
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2022
Website by CS Design Studios