This aircraft is not currently on public display.
The Antonov AN-2 was originally designed as a short takeoff and landing aircraft for use in agriculture. It’s simple, robust design led to its use in many other fields as well. It has seen extensive use as both a military and a commercial passenger and cargo aircraft, fire fighter, paratroop carrier, and to carry scientific equipment. The AN-2 first flew in 1947 and even then, the design was a throwback to an earlier era. The large propeller driven biplane featured a metal fuselage but used fabric covered wings and control surfaces. The aircraft is specifically designed for small unimproved airfields and features leading edge slats that greatly reduce the aircraft’s minimum speed. At least 5,000 AN-2s were built in the Soviet Union between 1947 and 1960 when production moved to Poland. The PZL Mielec factory built approximately 13,000 more aircraft before series production ended in 1991 but limited numbers continued to be produced for special orders until 2001.
Aeroflot Soviet Airlines, 1985
CCCP-32682, N75AN, HR-ARR
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios