The OQ-3 is a radio-controlled target drone manufactured during World War II for both the Army and the Navy. They were used to train anti-aircraft gunners. The design was developed from a radio-controlled model aircraft for hobby flying. Beginning in 1950 several versions of the model were developed for use as gunnery targets. The OQ-3 is the last version built. It is constructed of a steel-tube fuselage and wooden wings covered with fabric. The drones were launched with a small catapult and were recovered by means of a parachute. Between 5,000 and 6,000 of them were built between 1943 and 1945.
United States Army, 1945
Pima Air & Space Museum