In 1951 the U.S. Marines issued a requirement for a new heavy assault helicopter. Sikorsky’s offering was its first twin-engine helicopter, designated HR2S-1 by the Navy and H-37 by the Army. The Mojave was a radical design for its time. It had fully retractable main landing gear and a front opening clamshell door, with the engines in large pods on each side of the main fuselage. The large five blade rotor was specially designed to allow the helicopter to continue flying if one of the blades was shot off. The Mojave began testing with both the Army and Marines in 1953. Deliveries to both services began in 1956, and production continued until 1960. Mojave’s served as heavy-lift transports until the early 1970s.
90th Transportation Company, Illesheim, West Germany, 1965
CH-37B “Tired Dude”
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Copyright © 2020
Website by CS Design Studios
6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756
Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 3:00pm