The Sikorsky R-5 was the second helicopter type to go into full production for the U.S. Air Force. The R-5 prototype first flew in August 1943. When the U.S. Air Force became an independent service in 1948, the designation letter for helicopters was changed from “R” to “H” and the Dragonflies were redesignated H-4. The Dragonfly was also adopted by the U.S Navy and the Coast Guard under the designation HO3S. In 1946, the Dragonfly became the second helicopter to enter Coast Guard service under the Navy designation HO3S-1G. They were used to develop techniques and equipment for using helicopters in Air-Sea rescue operations. The success of the Dragonfly led to the expansion of the use of helicopters by the Coast Guard that continues today. A total of 9 Dragonflies served the Coast Guard from 1946 to 1959.
United States Coast Guard, Coast Guard Station Brooklyn, New York, 1946
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios