Early in World War II, the Army Air Forces recognized a requirement for a simplified training glider for beginning instruction of pilots who would go on to fly troop gliders in combat. The quickest solution was to modify existing civilian light aircraft designs to serve as gliders. The Piper, Aeronca, and Taylorcraft companies each modified one of their designs for Army use. The Taylorcraft offering was designated as TG-6 and was modified from the company’s L-2 Grasshopper. Modifications included a redesigned nose that replaced the engine with a third seat for an instructor, slightly enlarged tail, and redesigned landing gear. The modifications for the prototype were done in only nine days. A total of 250 were built for the Army and three were built for the Navy.
17th Elementary Flying Training Detachment, Twenty-Nine Palms, California, 1942
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios